The latest collapse of UN-sponsored efforts to settle the Cyprus issue has again exposed an enduring fixture of international relations – the morally and legally bankrupt policy of the Turkish government towards the Republic of Cyprus, a Member State of the Commonwealth, the Council of Europe and the European Union.
Having not been granted what it covets in a post-settlement Cyprus – including a permanent status as ‘guarantor’ and the perpetuation of its military presence – Ankara’s puppet regime now insists that any future negotiations should only take place on a ‘state to state’ basis ie between the internationally-recognised Republic of Cyprus and the internationally-unrecognised illegal subordinate administration of Turkey in the Turkish-occupied part of the Republic.
As far as Turkish spin doctors are concerned, that would result in ‘equality’.
The proposed ‘state to state’ approach is preposterous. Accordingly, Lobby for Cyprus would like to reaffirm some basic details, which are often overlooked by certain politicians and elements of ‘the mainstream media’:
1. There is one and only one internationally-recognised sovereign state in the Island of Cyprus. This is the Republic of Cyprus.
2. Turkey’s illegal puppet regime is the crude by-product of the two illegal Turkish invasions launched on 20 July and 14 August 1974 respectively.
3. The two Turkish invasions resulted in Turkey occupying, ethno-religiously cleansing and colonising 36 per cent of the territory and 57 per cent of the coastline of the Republic of Cyprus.
4. The proposed ‘state to state’ approach is fundamentally contrary to:
- the UN Charter 1945;
- the Cyprus Act 1960;
- the Treaty of Establishment 1960;
- UN Security Council Resolution 242 of 1967 which emphasises “the inadmissibility of the acquisition of territory by war”; and
- UN Security Council Resolution 541 of 1983 which brands as ‘legally invalid’ the purported unilateral declaration of independence (UDI) in the occupied part of the Republic of Cyprus.
5. In its Advisory Opinion handed down on 22 July 2010, the International Court of Justice referred to the Resolutions of the United Nations Security Council in relation to the legally invalid UDI concerning the so-called ‘Turkish Republic of Northern Cyprus’, among other places. The International Court of Justice explained that the illegality of these UDIs “stemmed not from the unilateral character of these declarations as such, but from the fact that they were, or would have been, connected with the unlawful use of force or other egregious violations of norms of general international law, in particular those of a peremptory character.”
In view of the above, Lobby for Cyprus:
- Calls upon the citizens of the Republic of Cyprus to stand firm in response to Ankara’s intransigent, maximalist and neo-imperial agenda.
- Calls upon the President of the Republic of Cyprus not to pander to Turkey by signing away any territory, by putting into jeopardy his own sovereign state and by otherwise caving in to an increasingly oppressive, aggressive and authoritarian Turkish state.
- Calls upon the European Union to prop up the Republic of Cyprus as a bulwark of the democratic world in the teeth of Turkey and the multi-dimensional threats flowing from this unpredictable rogue state.
Lobby for Cyprus is a non-party-political human rights organisation that campaigns for a Cyprus free from Turkish occupation and a unitary Cypriot state without segregation along ethnic and religious lines.